Thursday, October 28, 2010

Long Exposure Night Photography Log

Tuesday, Oct 12th
I was assigned a challenge based learning project in photography. I chose to do it on long exposure night photography. Andrew, Kevin, and I decided to go to Kevin's and stay up really late to try it out before we did any research. We basically learned through trial and error. I learned that in the city, 30 seconds is usually too long of an exposure.

Thursday Oct 21st
Today I did about 2 hours of research for my CBL project. In my David Busch Xsi Guide book I learned ALOT. I need to set my ISO as low as possible to get the best long exposure shot. It also recommended that I buy a remote control shutter release. I also researched online and a lot of online sources confirmed what i learned so far. for the best long exposure shots you need:
1. Camera (Duh)
2. Tripod
3. Light Meter
4. Shutter release remote
5. Neutral density Filter (Optional, but also gives you the ability to do longer day shots)
6. Flashlight (Optional. Only needed if you want to try Light Painting)
7. Timer (Only if you are using bulb)

Good online sources:

This of course is the most basic instructions:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6724172_long-exposure-night-photography-technique.html

Here is a few of my favorite examples:
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/long-exposure-photography

This site is great if you are interested in Neutral Density:
http://www.nd-magazine.com/

Friday Oct 22nd
Today I went to barnes and noble and skimmed through books, nothing worth mentioning Though. I waited for night and hopped in the car to try long exposure night photography again (knowing what I know now.) Everything came out much better, but Lancaster is a rather bright city. I decided I want to try it in Tehachapi and Bear Valley also where there is very dark.

Tuesday Oct 26th
I decided to order a remote shutter release today, because I know I will need it in Tehachapi this coming weekend. I plan on doing Mountain, Sky, Lake and even far shots from the 58 fwy. My remote will be here on friday (hopefully), before I go to Tehachapi. Another good idea, try long exposure on halloween, mostly because there are lots of weird lights. I wanted to order a set of neutral density filters but I don't have enough money yet. I will probably order them next week, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment